Saturday, May 13, 2006

Sage advice

So I'd scraped my knee open the night before. Some chick (who plays for Jets) rammed her finger in my eye, I fell over, hence the bandaid on my knee the next day at work.

Scene: Me, Mark, and Damon, sitting cross-legged on the floor, building vehicles.

M/D: What's that?
Me: It's a bandaid.
D: Why? [ok, this is a really bad habit he need to get out of.]
Me: I fell over yesterday and hurt my knee.
D: Why? [see what I mean?]
Me: Cos a girl poked her finger in my eye.
[ok i was fully expecting 'why?' in a whiny tone of voice, but he surprised me]
D: What kind of girl? [what kind of question is that?]
Me: A jet girl.
D: Orh. Was she in a jet? [points for not assuming]
Me: No she just had a jet on her shir.
D: Orh. Why?
Me: Well, I don't she meant to.
D: [very firmly] You should tell her to stop.
Me: I think it was an accident, Damon.
[this is where they both jumped in, to tell me how to be more assesertive and in control of my own life. they were so concerned that i might not know how to deal with this kind of situation]
M&D: No, you need to tell her STOP. You don't like it.*

*This is the phrase we encourage them to use when dealing with each other. Everyone does. Repeatedly. And usually at high volume. Sometime on the verge of tears. But their concern for me, that I might not have heard of this magic phrase, was touching.

No comments: